Do I need to tax my Mobility Scooter?

Due to rules and legislation changing, there is a lot of conflicting and confusing information available regarding mobility scooter tax. The official UK government states that you do not have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but class 3 invalid carriages must be registered with the DVLA.

Class 3 invalid carriages are any mobility scooter or powerchair that can travel faster than 4 mph. Pavement scooters and powerchairs that are limited to 4mph are regarded as class 2 invalid carriages, and do not need to be registered. Find out more about the classes of mobility scooters.

How do I register my Class 3 Mobility Scooter?

Owners of class 3 mobility scooters and powerchairs are required to register them with the DVLA. There is no cost associated with registering, and you do not need to pay vehicle tax on mobility scooters. To register your mobility scooter, you will need to complete a form (V55/4 for new scooters, or V55/5 for used scooters), which can be ordered from the DVLA. Completed forms should be sent to: DVLA Swansea, SA99 1BE 

Mobility Scooter Tax Discs

Just like cars, vans and other road vehicles, you no longer need to display a valid tax disc on your mobility scooter. Whilst you no longer need to display a tax disc, you should ensure you register class 3 mobility scooters, even if buying a second hand scooter. Whilst you will no longer receive a physical tax disc, records of registration are available in a digital database.

As your scooter will no longer have a physical tax disc displayed, the DVLA have advised that mobility scooter users should carry a record of their registration number incase they are stopped by police.

Renewal of Mobility Scooter Tax

Although mobility scooters are exempt from vehicle tax, you will need to ensure that your registration is kept current and renewed before expiring. As there is no cost, they are commonly referred to as ‘nil value tax discs’, which must be kept valid for use on roads. The DVLA will provide a reminder when you need to renew your registration, and there is no cost to renew.

Tax Fines

It is extremely important that all class 3 mobility scooters and powerchairs are registered. If your class 3 mobility scooter or powered wheelchair is not registered, you may be liable for a fine of £80. Registering is free and easy, so it is important that you ensure your scooter tax is kept valid and renewed on time.

If you are no longer using your mobility scooter, you can obtain a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). If your class 3 carriage is exported or destroyed, you can cancel your registration with the DVLA.


For further information on taxing your mobility scooter or power wheelchair contact your nearest DVLA office or call 0300 790 6802.


Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a few of the most frequently asked questions relating to mobility scooter tax.

No, unlike most other road vehicles, class 3 invalid carriages do not require a number plate. However, when you register your mobility scooter or powerchair with the DVLA, you will be provided with a registration number. It is advisable to always keep a copy of your registration number with your scooter or wheelchair, so it can be provided to authorities upon request.

Physical tax discs are no longer issued, so you do not need to display one on your mobility scooter. Instead, records of registration and tax are stored digitally, and can be checked by authorities on their systems.